Historical places UK

Moderators: Issue manager, Zonemakers

JKJE

Historical places UK

Post by JKJE »

While i was in UK, I found out that there is many places that is national trust. i think its a good start to check that out to get more intresting zones in whole of The UK area
getingkex

Re: Historical places UK

Post by getingkex »

I agree with this. I think zones in the UK need to placed more with tourists in mind, as most zones are in practice taken by visiting Swedes at the moment.

It's great that North Wales got some more zones at last but I think it would be nicer for visitors to get taken to interesting places to see rather than random locations in Rhyl and Bangor :) Would be very willing to provide a list of suggestions if anyone's interested.
DIProgan

Post by DIProgan »

Shouldn't each country's zones be placed with its own citizens in mind, even if they're not all that active at the moment? Although I'm not sure there's a difference between what locals and tourists like.
Running the third-party project https://turfbridge.com
Munin
Zonemaker

Post by Munin »

If the aim is to get local turfers in UK, then National Trust sites, is not the first place to put zones, more important to be on the look-out for where zones are needed in cities/towns where people live and sprinkle zones there.

If the aim is to give Swedish tourist turfers cool zones to visit on their vacation, by all means go with the National Trust site.

My aim at the moment, as a zone maker in two UK regions, is the first: To make it more interesting for local turfers who happen to download the app.

That said, a good zone suggestion is always a good zone suggestion and I will look at it :)
getingkex

Post by getingkex »

I sympathise with the aim to spread Turf to the locals, but I'm beginning to doubt whether it will ever happen in the UK. Turf is so dependent on getting a critical mass, the game is really boring if you're the only Turfer in town, and it's not that much more interesting if you're only 2 or 3. I persuaded, directly or indirectly, about 5 people to start turfing in Reading a couple of years ago but all have stopped now. Unless it can get enough media attention to get enough people started, like it did in Sweden, it's never going to happen.

Another problem in the UK is that cycling infrastructure is often catastrophic, particularly away from the larger cities. The kind of floating around town picking up zones on your bike on cycle routes without worrying much about traffic that I think predominates in Göteborg where i live just isn't possible in Rhyl or Bangor and isn't likely to be any time soon. The car is king in the UK.

In Wales 3G infrastructure isn't great either, and at least National Trust sites tend to have free wifi, the only reason I managed to take the Harlech Castle zone.

So all in all I think it's time to be pragmatic and orientate zone-making towards those who are actually taking the zones, which in the UK is overwhelmingly Swedish tourists.

Return to “Zones”