New Zones

Moderators: Issue manager, Zonemakers

flyingchicken

New Zones

Post by flyingchicken »

It’s been highlighted in our region chats that exceptionally few (if any) zones get accepted.
I totally appreciate that these are recommendations and not “givens”, and that certain criteria that have to be met. But some of these zones are from quite experienced players (they’re not going to request in the middle of a dual carriageway kind of thing).
There are some new (last 3-4 months) and quite high scoring players who have never had any zones accepted. This impacts their willingness to encourage new players.
Personally I can’t complain too much - I’ve battled to get players for the last 6 months and have the same zones more or less. But some players have to travel significantly (and unreasonably) far to get a basic foothold of zones. Is there anything that we can do to help? We mention zones on the forum but this seems to get overlooked - just wondering if, as players, we can help in a other way?
Kingslayer
Zonemaker

Re: New Zones

Post by Kingslayer »

We don't get any notifications when app suggestions are made. They are all accumulated on the map and over time they can become quite many. Nor can we see who made a suggestion, they are all anonymous. We can see date and suggested zone name and that's it. Zone makers are making zones in their spare time after work. When they don't have other things to do. We have some 2-3 zone makers per region in England (and several zone makers have several regions), we can't monitor everything and we need to prioritize our time. And please don't compare, the fact that another region or town gets more zones for the moment just means someone had time to work those town and regions, doesn't mean your area is deliberately being ignored. A complicating factor is the general lack of public space in UK towns. It takes a lot more time and investigation/map scrutiny to find 5 good zone spots in a UK town than for instance a German or Swedish. App suggestions can help but many are unfortunately of bad quality (in the middle of roads, in locked away areas where only the suggester have access, on private ground etc).

The game is not about getting new zones, but, there needs to be a reasonable amount of zones to sustain turfing, we definitely agree on that. The best way is to keep making app suggestion in combination with posting specific needs here in the forum. We can't guarantee all forum posts will be acted upon but all will be read. Good argumentation also helps, not just "I want...". We do prioritize cities with more than one turfer and larger cities with at least one turfer without zones or very few zones. And London. London has embarrassingly low zone density for a city that size and it takes a long time to fix that.

I will now spend the rest of the evening looking at some of the forum requests for East of England (although this is not my region :) )
flyingchicken

Re: New Zones

Post by flyingchicken »

Thank you for taking the time to reply! It really is appreciated. Not sure who - but we did get a lovely selection of new zones a few days ago - so thank you!
I do understand and appreciate it’s a thankless task, I just want to keep the motivation going with the players in our local area.
I’ll keep the zone suggestions coming anyway!

Return to “East of England”