Greenwich, Greenwich Peninsula & Blackheath area

Moderators: Issue manager, Zonemakers

Northstar

Greenwich, Greenwich Peninsula & Blackheath area

Post by Northstar »

Zone proposals for Greenwich and Greenwich Peninsula

One of the new turfers has suggested Greenwich as a place needing more zones- and I agree, as it's an interesting destination, has two new active turfers in the area (and with current lockdown we can't travel far from home). I'd been meaning to get there myself before lockdown got stricter. It's also an area where a lot of development is still happening, especially around Greenwich Peninsula.

I'm always impressed by what zonesetters come up with, but the places I think would be good would be as a start are:
a few railway station zones
-Greenwich (google coords 51.477945, -0.013152)
-Maze Hill (google coords 51.482616, 0.002764)
-Blackheath (google coords 51.465963, 0.008947)
-Woolwich Dockyard (51.491056, 0.054576)

Greenwich Park currently only has the zone GMT but warrants more, eg
-HerbGarden 51.478990, -0.007154
-RoseGarden (or the Ranger's House) at 51.473537, -0.000953
-the Bandstand at 51.476548, 0.002845
-One Tree Hill Vista (LoversWalk) at 51.479907, 0.000844

Greenwich
-Cutty Sark 51.483258, -0.010022
-Sir Walter Raleigh statue at 51.483076, -0.008716 (as a monument zone, to create an orderly trio) (as some of Raleigh's exploits were as an explorer, who went seeking gold in South America, he's of value to turfing!)
-Deptford Creek (a bridge zone) at 51.481365, -0.016044
-St Alfege Church (a church zone) at 51.480475, -0.010143 (nb if this is too easy an orderly, another suitable church zone would be fine, but as St Alfege is an important saint for this area could the park to the west of these coordinates be a zone)
-Maritime Museum 51.481350, -0.005363

Greenwich Peninsula
-North Greenwich Pier at 51.502143, 0.009177 (nb most Thames Piers aren't accessible under lockdown)
-Olympian Way at 51.503131, 0.006606
-Central Park at 51.498388, 0.007839
-ThePilot at 51.496301, 0.009548 (on a Peninsula full of the new- this is a lovely old part!)
-Great War Memorial at 51.495327, 0.012173
-Mordern Wharf at 51.493927, 0.000941

Blackheath (along with the station)
-All Saints Church 51.468091, 0.007662

Thanks!
Dacop
Zonemaker

Re: Greenwich, Greenwich Peninsula & Blackheath area

Post by Dacop »

Will take a look at this shortly!

Edit: Some of your suggestions have been added, will revisit this later and probably add some more.

Thanks for your help!
"Det är mycket roligare att hålla på med mobilen än gamla kartor och jävelskap..." - Evert Jansson, Klass 9 Stöde Skola
Unique:2292
Rank 56: Turf Angel
Northstar

Post by Northstar »

Thankyou! The new zones which had been added have been seized upon by one of the new guys, who has also then been motivated to expand into other areas too. That's how you catch them!
Northstar

Post by Northstar »

Hey, I appreciate you've been super busy (and thanks :) :) ) but can I bump the issue of zones for the Greenwich Peninsula?

We're in a second post-BBC round with a few turfers near this area, one of whom is super active, currently in the UK top 5 (and feeding the London elite comp with two other turfers who enjoy a dense zone provision in the Stratford area). But more importantly, I forgot to mention previously that one of London's IKEAs is on that peninsula, which offers really good turfing interest. I've found it really satisfying and efficient when going tto be able to make use of a trip to a well-appointed superstore

I've found (when visiting the Decathlon on the well-zoned Surrey Quays) it really satisfying and efficient to be able to visit a well-appointed superstore, get a drink/meal, be able to use facilities, and get in a couple of dozen zones. If there was some solid zone provision on the peninsula and also along the river, it would both be a turfing destination in its own right as well as making shopping a bit less of a chore. Maybe even put a turfzone in the IKEA rooftop garden https://goo.gl/maps/MHoJrgvHihZoQjeJ8 it's currently closed for covid, but there are apparently people that go there just for a feed of meatballs.
Dacop
Zonemaker

Post by Dacop »

Northstar wrote: 10 Jan 2021 10:41 Hey, I appreciate you've been super busy (and thanks :) :) ) but can I bump the issue of zones for the Greenwich Peninsula?

We're in a second post-BBC round with a few turfers near this area, one of whom is super active, currently in the UK top 5 (and feeding the London elite comp with two other turfers who enjoy a dense zone provision in the Stratford area). But more importantly, I forgot to mention previously that one of London's IKEAs is on that peninsula, which offers really good turfing interest. I've found it really satisfying and efficient when going tto be able to make use of a trip to a well-appointed superstore

I've found (when visiting the Decathlon on the well-zoned Surrey Quays) it really satisfying and efficient to be able to visit a well-appointed superstore, get a drink/meal, be able to use facilities, and get in a couple of dozen zones. If there was some solid zone provision on the peninsula and also along the river, it would both be a turfing destination in its own right as well as making shopping a bit less of a chore. Maybe even put a turfzone in the IKEA rooftop garden https://goo.gl/maps/MHoJrgvHihZoQjeJ8 it's currently closed for covid, but there are apparently people that go there just for a feed of meatballs.
I believe we've fulfilled most of your requests from this post so far? Even decided to put in a IKEA zone but that'll go live a bit later - hopefully post lockdown.

Anything you want to point out that we've missed or any new requests around this area? Keeping in mind we need to keep some 200 meter between most zones.
"Det är mycket roligare att hålla på med mobilen än gamla kartor och jävelskap..." - Evert Jansson, Klass 9 Stöde Skola
Unique:2292
Rank 56: Turf Angel
Northstar

Post by Northstar »

thanks! (soz to not reply earlier- laptop access issues)
these new zones look really great and got some good use from various turfers last round, and were part of the first tranche taken this round. i've not yet managed to get out myself, but it looks like a good place to try and do the speed medals which are otherwise difficult when walk turfing. (although on that, I live in hope of more zones, closely set, around Brixton to allow a Brixton beaver!)

I think if it was possible to build on the Greenwich peninsula section with a line of zones out along the Thames eg to Thamesmead (and perhaps with some more zones in Thamesmead itself, and near Woolwich?) it would be interesting to both the local turfers as well as the London 'elite' turfers (noting that there is an overlap!) thanks again!
WorldschoolExp

Post by WorldschoolExp »

Northstar wrote:thanks! (soz to not reply earlier- laptop access issues)
these new zones look really great and got some good use from various turfers last round, and were part of the first tranche taken this round. i've not yet managed to get out myself, but it looks like a good place to try and do the speed medals which are otherwise difficult when walk turfing. (although on that, I live in hope of more zones, closely set, around Brixton to allow a Brixton beaver!)

I think if it was possible to build on the Greenwich peninsula section with a line of zones out along the Thames eg to Thamesmead (and perhaps with some more zones in Thamesmead itself, and near Woolwich?) it would be interesting to both the local turfers as well as the London 'elite' turfers (noting that there is an overlap!) thanks again!
More zones in Woolwich, North Woolwich and Becton area will be fantastic. I’m walking and have almost zone desert in my area :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Greater London”