Zones in Minnesota, USA

Woody

Zones in Minnesota, USA

Post by Woody »

A number of zones were created in Minnesota (in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area) in December 2020. Now we would like more. I know that myself and others have made suggestions in the app in January, but no new zones yet. What should our expectation be? Will the zones be created someday? Does it take weeks, or months? Is there another way to suggest zones? Is there something I can do to help?
Woody
embeoo
Zonemaker

Re: Zones in Minnesota, USA

Post by embeoo »

The focus has been mostly been on UK due to the explosion of turfers that were there, which might have made us kind of blind and to busy to watch the rest of the globe. But in general, we will try to keep up with any place that got a kick start from the BBC coverage.

The best thing if you have no zones, overcrowding on the existing ones, more details than can be given in the app suggestion or just doesn't feel seen is to write here, so check! The second best is to create good suggestions in the app. Thet are not processed per se or becomes a zone in any certain time, but when a zonemaker looks at the area, for example after seeing your post here, the suggestions will likely be better spots than what can be deducted form the satellite maps alone. I'm just on a break from my real work right now, but I or someone else of us will hopefully have a look within a few days.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for the quick response. We'll do what we can to promote the game in our area. It's the dead of winter here right now which means mostly sub freezing temperatures for the next couple months. It will be easier to attract more cyclists as the days warms in spring.
embeoo
Zonemaker

Post by embeoo »

There, a little more to play with through the winter. About as sprawling as the city.

Are you all from one neighbourhood or work out in a certain green area or something where it would make sense to have a denser cluster of zones?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for the new zones!

The current active players are mostly in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Each of those two cities has many public parks, and those would all be candidates for zones:

St. Paul parks: https://www.stpaul.gov/sites/default/f ... 0Map.pdf

Minneapolis parks: https://www.minneapolisparks.org/_asse ... _map.pdf

All of the surrounding communities have a similar density of parks. As the game grows hopefully we will add players in those areas and they will suggest zones there.
embeoo
Zonemaker

Post by embeoo »

FYI, I tried to join your bike group to talk first hand, but was rejected.

Yes there is plenty of locations, but they are one or several miles apart. Nothing wrong with that, king of the hill in a few select places.

So far turf zones in most countries have been laid 200m apart. This means a more action paced game when you in real time have to guess other players movements to stay on the roll and not get blocked. So what I meant was if there as a specific area(large park?) or even stretch of bike way that all or many of you frequent. Then we could try to maximise zone coverage there at least. With all those car based suburbs you won't be able to have the full experience close to home I'm afraid. But keep the suggestions coming!
danmarstp

Post by danmarstp »

More zones in Saint Paul would be great! Summit Ave and along the Mississippi River (both sides) in Saint Paul are by far the most frequently visited. Also there's Como Park and Phalen Park where clusters of zones could become very competitive.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Single, large, specific park, not so much. But we do have a couple of long bike ways as shown on this map:
https://streets.mn/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Twins.png

The St. Paul loop includes the parks that danmarstp mentioned. I would also second his suggestion for Summit Ave in St. Paul which is a large parkway that crosses the city east to west.
embeoo
Zonemaker

Post by embeoo »

There, some more, this time mostly Saint Paul.
Guess you are all out of suggestions, otherwise use them! New with the next round in two weeks, but I am trying to get the count raised from three.

We will continue add zones, it's not really bike season now I figure.

Again I couldn't join your group but you are welcome to https://www.facebook.com/groups/turfgame if you want to learn what is the true meaning of the game and other interesting things :)
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks! I'll start a facebook page for Turf in Minnesota and we will invite you. I have been giving some thought to your comments and what might be good areas for the density of zones that I see where the game is played the most.

Return to “Zones”