A little something about the guidelines of zone placing

Blabert
Zonemaker

A little something about the guidelines of zone placing

Post by Blabert »

In order to increase the transparency a bit and make it more clear how the zone makers work, here's they most important guidelines on zone making :-)

The zones are without doubt the most important assets of the game.

What is a zone and how do we position it?

A zone is supposed to be a special place that that gives a value to the user. This is accomplished in different ways, but it is important to understand that a zone is not just something we throw out anywhere without thinking.

We accomplish this in different ways: by giving the zone a unique and good name, by placing the zone in a beautiful/well known/well defined place.

For example, zones in a beautiful park, near a train station or in the town square are good placed zones. Another type of zone is a zone that connects to other zones, a transit/filling zone if you like. This kind of zone may not always be beautiful, but it has another type of value for the turfer.

Size/Structure:

Mobile GPS is not always very accurate.
Therefore the zones should be about 25meters X 25 meters to allow for some GPS error. However the size of the zone may be adjusted to fit the area where it is placed.

When placing zones, for example in a park and close to a walking path/bicycle road the zone should include the path/bicycle road. This is to avoid the destruction of the communitys grass areas. If the zone is placed further away (~30 meters or more) from a path, perhaps on a small hill or around a huge old tree, the zone will not be moved to the closest path/road.

It is important to remember that the zones should normally be accessible during all seasons (a few exceptions are ok). But this doesn't mean that all zones should be easy to take.

Naming:

As said before the name is very important.
The relation to the geographical location is the key in naming the zone. Jokes or "smart" names/translations are okay.

The local language may be used, even englishified if appropriate.

Good names are:

-GlobeZone
-FaluPlaza
-BirdsongZone (next to the street Fågelsångsvägen)

Bad names/names with upper/lowercase letters wrong used are:

-E4anskullezone
-Footballzone
-1337ZoNe

FOLLOWING TYPE OF ZONE SHOULD BE REPORTED IMMEDIATELY

Zones inside or very close to kindergartens.

Zones placed at schools (grades 0-9) and playgrounds should have a safety distance to avoid creepy effects. For example a zone next to a playground is ok, but not inside it.

Zones placed in graveyards/churchyards on the actual graves or in memorials.

Zones in fotball/sport fields placed on the actual turf or track.

Places that are dangerous for example train rails.

Private areas for example inside high fences of a power plant or someones private backyard.

Places that cost a lot of money to access (a few exceptions are ok) or are accessible only by a few persons like someones workplace.
Evil_Nillie

Re: A little something about the guidelines of zone placing

Post by Evil_Nillie »

Hi Blabbert,

Just began playing last week (NL) Nice app, nice game with lots of potential.
But... In my area there are (almost) none zones. Have to make a 15 minute ride by car to get to one. Most zones are in (big) cities. To getting to know the app and game i went to Nijmegen by car with my bicycle on a twinnyload ;-) I crossed all town, lovely :D. I know the city of Nijmegen, and lots of its nice and beautiful places, quite well. less than 3 of > 25 zones where special zones which 'added' something. Most off them where (probably) picked randomly on google earth? Mostly squares off lawn in a not very attractive area....
So when i read your post i was quite disappointed and needed to respond ;-)

Last week the app got a (stunning) review in newspaper NRC. Should be really nice if it expands in The Netherlands too but more and better zones are needed really quick then. 3 suggestions per round won't bring such expand...

Perhaps a Dutch section will help too ;-)

Kind regards

Evil_Nillie
Strömbo

Post by Strömbo »

Hi Evil_Nillie!

Is this the article?

http://www.nrc.nl/handelsblad/2015/10/1 ... en-1548623
Blabert
Zonemaker

Re: RE: Re: A little something about the guidelines of zone placing

Post by Blabert »

Evil_Nillie wrote:Hi Blabbert,

Just began playing last week (NL) Nice app, nice game with lots of potential.
But... In my area there are (almost) none zones. Have to make a 15 minute ride by car to get to one. Most zones are in (big) cities. To getting to know the app and game i went to Nijmegen by car with my bicycle on a twinnyload ;-) I crossed all town, lovely :D. I know the city of Nijmegen, and lots of its nice and beautiful places, quite well. less than 3 of > 25 zones where special zones which 'added' something. Most off them where (probably) picked randomly on google earth? Mostly squares off lawn in a not very attractive area....
So when i read your post i was quite disappointed and needed to respond ;-)

Last week the app got a (stunning) review in newspaper NRC. Should be really nice if it expands in The Netherlands too but more and better zones are needed really quick then. 3 suggestions per round won't bring such expand...

Perhaps a Dutch section will help too ;-)

Kind regards

Evil_Nillie
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Nice to see that Turf got som attention in the Netherlands, will look in to activity and see to that we get new zones out when it's needed!

About your questions: "Another type of zone is a zone that connects to other zones, a transit/filling zone if you like. This kind of zone may not always be beautiful, but it has another type of value for the turfer." From the 1st post, these types of zones are quite common, due to the fact that most turfers want to take zones in between those zones at awesome places. However, if you want, please send suggestions on special places in the app or here at the forums.

Where do you live? I'm sure there's room for few zones there. Generally we begin with major cities, since there's more potential in having a good game experience there (you need opponents, for one thing). But smaller towns can also get zones.

I'll set up a Dutch section in the forums aswell.

Again, welcome! And please start spreading the word to friends etc :-)
Evil_Nillie

Post by Evil_Nillie »

Hey,

Sorry for late response.
I live in "Grave" where just 3 zones came. Tx, its a start ;-) I, kind of, live in the country so there is not much to play yet. Most zones and activity are in (bigger) cities. At the moment i mostly revisit haha. It sure takes me outside more ;-)
Also tx for forum !
flyingchicken

Post by flyingchicken »

It’s fantastic we can now suggest 20 zones a round (the app still says 3 when clicking through, not sure if that requires a little update).
Is there a way to see previously suggested areas, or areas others have suggested? I don’t want to “waste” suggests by doubling up. Or is that the best way of saying a place is a really good position 😂
embeoo
Zonemaker

Post by embeoo »

No, there is no way for players to see own or all suggestions.Memory is everything! I sometimes leaks the current map, but on facebook or something, posting pictures here is a mess.
AJHB

Post by AJHB »

Have made various suggestions which would qualify as exciting locations - such as oldest cricket ground in the world - but no new Turf zones have been made in my part of SW London - what's the formula? 😃
Maqqan
Zonemaker

Post by Maqqan »

AJHB wrote: 05 Jun 2021 22:50 Have made various suggestions which would qualify as exciting locations - such as oldest cricket ground in the world - but no new Turf zones have been made in my part of SW London - what's the formula? 😃
Even the greatest zone suggestions can sometimes remain unapproved because the zone maker doesn't discovered them. You can always guide us by adding a post under the London section of the forum: viewforum.php?f=149
flyingchicken

Post by flyingchicken »

Maqqan wrote: 09 Jun 2021 08:46
AJHB wrote: 05 Jun 2021 22:50 Have made various suggestions which would qualify as exciting locations - such as oldest cricket ground in the world - but no new Turf zones have been made in my part of SW London - what's the formula? 😃
Even the greatest zone suggestions can sometimes remain unapproved because the zone maker doesn't discovered them. You can always guide us by adding a post under the London section of the forum: viewforum.php?f=149
There has been a fair few zone requests in different forums (inc East of England and also in West Coast Ireland) yet these seem largely to have not been seen or at least, not have been responded to for a fair time.

It’s a bit disheartening watching zones which haven’t been requested in the forum being added in “quiet” locations where only 1 dominant player exists. In so much as, an area with a player in the top 10 appears to get a line of 5-10 zones. The zones never exchange past the dominant player. Where a “busy” area I’m aware of with 4-5 active players (yes of course that’s near me) seem to be overlooked. Of course there’s a happy balance - but when I plea for another player or encourage them to post in the correct topic area and nothing happens, I can only imagine they will lose interest.

I mean no disrespect, the zone setters have done a great job. Just wanted to politely say my bit.

Return to “Zones”