Bad zone location in South Africa

LarusMarinus

Bad zone location in South Africa

Post by LarusMarinus »

I was today very frustrated after hiking all the way down to Cape of Good Hope and trying to take zone "goodhope". After meter turned 100% green it was impossible to own the zone. At several tries it was apperant that there was no 3g coverage at the spot so the zone never "closed". Sometimes it helps restarting but not this time, i could not even get connected to turf afterwards. Unfortunately I could not stay there forever so i never got the zone. Too bad, since this is a place you only visit once in your life. In my opinion the zone should be moved about 75m east where there is 3g coverage.
Attachments
LarusMarinus was there!
LarusMarinus was there!
image.jpg (217.08 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Optimus
Zonemaker

Re: Bad zone location in South Africa

Post by Optimus »

Please report in: http://issues.turfgame.com/
ImageImage
hazzard

Post by hazzard »

Thats shame u want take a zone and technical reasons u cant :( i bet there are many zones out there that u cant reach or get internet working phone once u there close..
LarusMarinus

Post by LarusMarinus »

Thanks for the suggestion. Issue has been reported.
Kingslayer
Zonemaker

Post by Kingslayer »

I have the issue and will look into it in the weekend.

I made that zone as an "extra World Heritage zone" (a zone in a World Heritage without World Heritage attribute) partly as the actual World Heritage site is large and partly as I couldn't really leave Cape of Good Hope without a zone when I "was there anyway". The actual WH-zone is north-east of this and I can see you took that one.

When we started the project to add a zone at each and all of the World Heritage sites all over the world we did that knowing that some of them cannot be taken today due to technical limitations (bad or no reception, app requires network access etc). We accepted that as fact, knowing that at some point in the future it will likely be possible for the average person (all are possible today with satellite phones). True World Heritage zones we would therefore not normally move any larger distance unless the zone is off real location because poor satellite imagery or because it is dangerous to take. These zones are in most cases exactly there they are supposed to be.

In a few cases we created an extra normal zone, normally because the world heritage site is huge and has other areas of more than average interest. Given that this is such an extra zone I don't see any problem moving it as long as it is not moved entirely away from "Cape of Good Hope".

I also notices in the ticket that you wanted a take registered on this one because you were there physically. Unfortunately we will have to disappoint you on that one. We never register takes after the fact, regardless of reason.
curioso

Post by curioso »

I will visit the area in november 2017 and I don't know if there is any idea to try to get GoodHope zone, it has been taken 0 times. The CapeFloral zone at the lighthouse has been taken 8 times. Will it be worth the effort to get GoodHope z? I will travel by car.

GoodHope was created 2015-10-24 12:18:46 and has been taken 0 times in total by 0 different turfers.
Attachments
GoodHope_CapeFloral.JPG
GoodHope_CapeFloral.JPG (125.62 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
LarusMarinus

Post by LarusMarinus »

@curioso:
The previous location was far down on the slope where the mobile coverage was too poor to allow the zone to be taken. I tried running up and down the slope for half an hour before giving it up. Hence I suggested moving it to the nearby hilltop where there was clean radio signal and mobile coverage.
Don't be put off, this is one of the most remote spots you can visit and the fact that only a handful of turfers come this far is well seen in the statistics.
Since I was there in Feb 2016 only about 5 turfers have made it all the way here. And if none of these 5 found it worth hiking for 30-40 minutes it is not too strange.
You should indeed be able to take the zone after it was moved.
The fairly short hike along the trail down from the car park near Cape Point is well worth it! The views are outstanding and there are less crowds here.
Remember to bring water. Send me a thought when you get there.

Happy turfing!
LarusMarinus
curioso

Post by curioso »

@LarusMarinus:
I will try to get both the zones, at least the one that has been taken earlier. It depends on my company, we will travel 8 persons in a car. I have to listen to the others, they may not be interested to wait for me while I'm turfing. I let you know what happens when I get there in some weeks.

Happy turfing!
Curioso

Return to “Zones”