Version 0.9

Simon
Site Admin

Version 0.9

Post by Simon »

Hi there!

As you know the server and the game has been a little grumpy for a while now, mostly because the server is hella bad and the app is not in perfect shape either to support all the new users. Since we dont have any money to pimp up the current server (we've got some donation money but that doesn't begin to cover the costs of the upgrade packages) we've been working our a**es off optimizing the current server so it could handle all the load.

Our new solution is a cloud based load balancing system. This means that we will be able to distribute our server-software (Claudia) to basically anyone (Only trusted people for starters), and the players will be balanced through too all the different connected servers.

The 0.9 version is now live

But its not only the servers that's been updated, the app has gone through some updates too. The meeting on saturday last weekend we got some excellent feedback from you and the players, so we went ahead and implemented some:

- Nametags: Player names are now visible when zoomed more than a certain level
- Players are now scaled depending on the zoom level on the map
- The bug where the takeovers fail sometimes, we've tried to fix it this version but we're not really sure if its really fixed yet so this is hopefully where you can help us test this a little better.
- New medal: Denmark explorer
- Connected and disconnected messages removed
- New medals: Take-???, from 50 takeovers til 25000 (more info soon)

Please post all the bugs, errors, feedbacks in this thread.

If the takeover would fail, please provide the exact time when it failed so we can check the logs.

Thank you!
Blabert
Zonemaker

Re: Server and app testing

Post by Blabert »

Sweet, I'll try it out tomorrow :-)

Edit: can't install over the live version, says conflicting something.. When I uninstall the live version and install the testclient it just shows yesterday's turf..? And no players or anything, just a, bunch of revisitable zones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon »

Blabert wrote:Sweet, I'll try it out tomorrow :-)

Edit: can't install over the live version, says conflicting something.. When I uninstall the live version and install the testclient it just shows yesterday's turf..? And no players or anything, just a, bunch of revisitable zones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
The testserver is running on a database image from yesterday so you will not own the same zones if you've taken any today. Be aware that this test is not connected too the live database so the takeovers will not count since the test-database is for this test only.

However.. the apk has been updated so you can install both live and test version at the same time now (so you can take over the same zone with the market/play app while you're there).
Optimus
Zonemaker

Post by Optimus »

Simon wrote:The testserver is running on a database image from yesterday so you will not own the same zones if you've taken any today. Be aware that this test is not connected too the live database so the takeovers will not count since the test-database is for this test only.

However.. the apk has been updated so you can install both live and test version at the same time now (so you can take over the same zone with the market/play app while you're there).
OK, thank´s for that information ! (I removed my bug report that I wrote the same time as Simon wrote the above message.)

I will test it out tomorrow ! I guess that I can use 2 phones and take the zone at the same time with the test and the official ?
Last edited by Optimus on 29 Mar 2012 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

Ok, great!
SaLa
Information Manager

Post by SaLa »

Simon wrote:
Great! Will try tomorrow. :)
Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon »

Optimus wrote: I guess that I can use 2 phones and take the zone at the same time with the test and the official ?
Definitely!
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

So tested a bit today, about 25 zones taken.

Was pretty damn smooth the first ~20 zones, then some things started to happen:

14:24 The app just closed in between zones.
14:49 Takeoverbug two times at childzone. Resulted in 2 FC:s, third try was a success.
14:53 The app froze, I had to manually shut it down.

Interesting was that the live client behaved just as good until the test version started to misbehave. I had one takeoverbug in the normal app, which didnt happen in the test version. At childzone both apps got the takeoverbug.

Oh, also the zooming was a bit choppy. And a couple of times the position was a bit different in the two apps.

All tested in pro mode.

Otherwise as I said, very smooth :-)
Drassen
Site Admin

Post by Drassen »

very good report! we will check the logs.

EDIT: maybe found something. do more test turfing please! :D
--No Private Messages please, use contact@turfgame.com instead.--
SaLa
Information Manager

Post by SaLa »

I revisited two zones and took two zones. In the second zone I couldnt revisit when I started the app and gps in the zone, I had to go out from the zone and then go in again (a known bug from before yes). That was Sundwest 20.48.
It was a bit slow to load zones, besides that I think everything went fine. The last zone I took with the test app and live app at the same time. Cool :)

Nice with the "welcome to Turf"-text in the chat. Maybe it would be nice with "this is the world chat, please use English" in the world chat?

I like the name tags! Great idea.

Return to “Versions”