How to play Turf (FAQ)

Beachhut

Re: How to play Turf (FAQ)

Post by Beachhut »

Hi there

I have a couple of questions about the logic of block times. Am a relative newbie and playing in the UK where the competition isn’t quite so cutthroat as it is elsewhere (yet) so the fact that someone’s blocktime is a little longer than someone else’s isn’t making a material difference yet.

However, I’m struggling with the reasoning behind how the Block Time works. The answers may be obvious to regular players, but I can’t see them on the site anywhere.

Firstly, one’s Block Time increases with score and ranking, rather than decreasing. I would have thought that as you get better at the game that boost would decrease until you get really good until it reached a minimum (5 minutes?). Its use will slow down anyone hovering around to get retake your zone, which you would have thought would be an aid (an inverse handicap if you like) for beginners. In a competitive area, more advanced/faster etc players might be expected to accommodate it in their planning. Please could you explain why the Block Time increases with seniority and not the reverse?

Secondly, a general observation. Do they really make much difference outside of Events (where you have lots of people in one area at a time)? (Especially as they are not long enough to guarantee taking any rolling points off a zone)? Or is it really that intense all the time in Sweden (am amazed by some of the scores).

Yours, in curiosity
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

Hi Beachhut and welcome to the forums!

Your thoughts are not completely off, turfers in Sweden also have asked about a reversed block time, mostly to benefit the new turfers. However the general opinion is that the earned 30 minutes is a nice perk for higher ranked players, a way for these, to an extent, to control other turfers by blocking their route. The block time is also a balance issue; if you would have only 5 minutes, two players could very easily farm a lot of points just taking the same 4-5 zones.

The points do tick in aswell, for a +9 zone you're at least guaranteed 4,5 points. And it is very crazy in many cities in Sweden! Many would like shorter block time because of the simple fact that there are barely any free zones to take during the busiest hours of the day.

The block time will now doubt be up for debate again (it was cut in half some time back, due to the crowding issue) and I'm quite sure we will get some kind of change to it again if Turf continues to grow.

Skickat från min Z1 via Tapatalk
Beachhut

Post by Beachhut »

Thanks- your post has shown me a few more subtleties which will draw out for other newbie benefit.

Firstly, I didn’t know how many points some of the zones are worth (have only seen a +2!)

Secondly, it is now clear that at a rate of, say, +9, the block times will have an impact if those points are allocated consistently rather than in a lump. I had assumed that the +9 points would be allocated an hour after taking a zone (outside the maximum block time), but you are intimating that in fact 1 point will be accrued every 6.5 (ish) minutes.

Thanks again- Turf is making my 10,000 steps a day a lot more fun!
DIProgan

Post by DIProgan »

Here you can read a bit about pph calculation http://wiki.turfgame.com/en/wiki/Points_per_hour

Every increase of +1 pph lowers takepoints for that zone by 15 points. All zones except the +0 zones are balanced to give 200 points if kept for 15 hours. Thus before that time a zone with high tp is prefered and after 15 hours a zone with high pph.

Usualy you gain more than 200p for lower pph zones and less points for higher pph zones because of the activity usualy being above one take per 15 hours in high pph areas. In return those cities usualy have a lot more zones per square km.

The most active zones in Sweden has 22 takeovers per day all month. Fairly busy.
Running the third-party project https://turfbridge.com
romulus78

Post by romulus78 »

I see the link to Fairy is missing. Please provide more info (or link) about the Fairy system :)
TBIT
Issue Manager

Post by TBIT »

romulus78 wrote:I see the link to Fairy is missing. Please provide more info (or link) about the Fairy system :)
http://wiki.turfgame.com/sv/wiki/Fairy
Besök gärna min blogg: turf.blekinge.it
Teien

Post by Teien »

Arias wrote: 20 Aug 2011 12:38 What is required?
-An Android mobile phone with internet access, GPS and at least 2.0 of the OS (otherwise you will not find Turf in the Market)

(This thread is supposed to explain the game for those who are not entirely familiar with it, write questions and so on in this thread and we will update this post as we go.)

Maybe its time to change this ...? ;-)
Corbielinn

Post by Corbielinn »

I know i get half pionts for a revisit, but do i continue to get +1 point/h ?
ojarnstr

Post by ojarnstr »

Yes
PPPeter

Takover point calculation

Post by PPPeter »

Wiki says "Which TP a zone is worth is linked to its takeover frequency". Can you explain more? They are adjusted every round. Is the calculation just based on activity in the round that has just ended or does the formula also include previous rounds? Is it easy to detail the formula used?

Return to “Gameplay”