How to play Turf (FAQ)

Arias

How to play Turf (FAQ)

Post by Arias »

What is required?
-An Android mobile phone with internet access, GPS and at least 2.0 of the OS (otherwise you will not find Turf in the Market)

How do you play?
-You take the red and yellow zones, go to them with your Android phone and stand in them for 45 seconds, then you get points continuously as long as you own the zone.

When do you win?
-A game lasts for one calendar month, then prizes are awarded to those who placed themselves at the top. There are both global and regional topcharts but in the current situation, you win only glory in the regions.

How long is a game?
A single game will begin at 12:00 on a Sunday, at the end or beginning of the month. A game round is either four or five weeks long and ends on a Sunday at 12:00, after which a new round begins immediately.

Why are some zones red and some yellow or green?
A red zone is a zone that one of your fellow players currently possess. A yellow Zone is neutral and not taken this round. A green Zone is a zone that you own.

How many points do you get for a zone?
-If you click on a zone you will get information about the zone's points. Takeoverpoints varies from zone to zone depending on various factors. For example how many people moves around in the area and how accessible it is. When you take over a zone it will be blocked for a certain number of minutes depending on your rank. Which means that another player will have to wait a while to steal your zone.

I have a problem with my GPS position, Why?
-Those of you who own a Samsung Galaxy may already know that GPS is not always precise. Fix and update will come this autumn, Samsung has announced.

What happens if more than one person try to take a zone at the same time?
-The first to make contact with the server will get the zone, someone must always be first, even if it is about milliseconds.

What is the "home region" and how can I change it?
- Home-region is the region which You belong to, this is calculated after which region you took the highest number of zones over the past 30 days. It is not possible to change manually.

Zone:
A zone is an area (IRL) about 25m x 25m which You can see in the TURF application on your phone.

Region:
A country is often in some way divided to provinces, these makes the regions. A region consists of multiple zones in a wider area. Every region has a toplist and a chat.

What is the "home region" and how can I change it?
Home-region is the region which you belong to, right now its the region where you have taken most zones this round.

Gold Crown:
This beautiful crown is placed on the person currently holding most zones in a region. A Region Lord.

Achieve a new rank by getting a certain amount of total points by taking over zones. Rank is like a new class or grade, which means that you get extended blocktime with 1 min for every rank you get.
Rank modules can be found here - http://turfgame.com/info/ranks

Block Time:
The block time is the same number as your rank but max is 30 min block time. Everyone has at least 5 min. When a zone is blocked, you can not take it. Another turfers zone is striped when it´s blocked. Click on it to see how long it is left before it becomes available to take over again. A green striped zone is a zone that you just took. Click the zone to see how long it is left before anyone could get there and take it from you.

Own zone:
You get your own zone when you win a game. The location and name of the zone, you can decide for yourself. Contact the TURF-crew if you won a game and wish to have your own zone in the game.

What is Fairy?
Fairy is a relatively new system that will handle the points of the zones and create a more balanced and dynamic way to change these. More info is available here. (Link missing)

When does Fairy update the points on the zones?
The point of the zones will be changed "from Fairy" half an hour before the new round every month.

How long is a game?
A single game will begin at 11:00 UTC on a Sunday, at the end or beginning of the month. A game round is either four or five weeks long and ends on a Sunday at 11:00 UTC, after which a new round begins immediately.

Do you get blocktime on re-visits?
Yes, but just five minutes.

(This thread is supposed to explain the game for those who are not entirely familiar with it, write questions and so on in this thread and we will update this post as we go.)
Last edited by SaLa on 31 Jan 2013 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated some stuff
qee4q

Re: How to play Turf (FAQ)

Post by qee4q »

1. What's the point of revisiting a zone I own?

2. If I take a zone monday at 8 a.m. and somebody else takes two hours after me - I can't reclaim it until tuesday at 8. a.m.?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zontjuven

Post by Zontjuven »

qee4q wrote:1. What's the point of revisiting a zone I own?

2. If I take a zone monday at 8 a.m. and somebody else takes two hours after me - I can't reclaim it until tuesday at 8. a.m.?
1. In nonactive areas, one must revisit your zones to make more points.

2. You can take the zone back as soon as the others blocktime has exeeded.

Revisit = 23 hrs to revisit your zone that you own all the time. Half revisit point.

Takeback = as soon as the other player blocktime ends. varies between 5-60 min.
Fd världsmästare i TURF
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

qee4q wrote:1. What's the point of revisiting a zone I own?

1. Revisit was implemented as a function for people having little or non opponents in their home town. The feature makes it possible to take the zones once a day, so you can keep on turfing even if you're alone in your town. A zonerevisit gives you half of the original takepoints and there's also a medal, called the revisited (50 revisited zones in 5 days or less)

2. No, You can reclaim it as soon as the other players blocktime is gone (maximum 1 hour). The 23 hour revisit timer is individual and only effect you and your zones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

Double post...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
qee4q

Post by qee4q »

Thx guys!

Btw - is it only in Denmark, that the widget doesn't work?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

qee4q wrote:Thx guys!

Btw - is it only in Denmark, that the widget doesn't work?
The widget should work, it has been a bit unreliable though.. You can use this aswell, a notification widget made by Acrux: http://db.tt/LDitb3c0
More information (in swedish) here: http://forum.turfa.se/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1147

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk
thomthom

Post by thomthom »

Arias wrote:Block Time:
The blocktime is calculated by your rank x 2. Max is 60 min blocktime. Everyone has at least 5 min. When a zone is blocked, You can not take it. Another turfers zone is striped when it´s blocked. Click on it to see how long it is left before it becomes available to take over again. A green striped zone is a zone that you just took. Click the zone to see how long it is left before anyone could get there and take it from you.
My profile currently says Experienced Traveller (7) - is seven not my rank? Because it says Block-time: 7 minutes - if 7 was my rank there would be 14 minutes block time, right? Bug? Or where do I find my rank?
Zontjuven

Post by Zontjuven »

thomthom wrote:
Arias wrote:Block Time:
The blocktime is calculated by your rank x 2. Max is 60 min blocktime. Everyone has at least 5 min. When a zone is blocked, You can not take it. Another turfers zone is striped when it´s blocked. Click on it to see how long it is left before it becomes available to take over again. A green striped zone is a zone that you just took. Click the zone to see how long it is left before anyone could get there and take it from you.
My profile currently says Experienced Traveller (7) - is seven not my rank? Because it says Block-time: 7 minutes - if 7 was my rank there would be 14 minutes block time, right? Bug? Or where do I find my rank?
You are absolutely right. The rank/blocktime is the same up to 30. The old values was rank x 2. This is quite new and I guess the FAQ has been forgotten.
Fd världsmästare i TURF
thomthom

Post by thomthom »

What's the GPS bonus? As long as it's active the takeover time is shorter? (how can you even take a zone without it? triangulation by WiFI?)
If the GPS bonus fixed or does it increase?

Return to “Gameplay”