How are the maps cached

HappyF
Zonemaker

How are the maps cached

Post by HappyF »

How many zoom-levels are cached? I assume that if I zoom out to show Sweden in the app, it will not cache all zoom-levels for all of Sweden?
SunYour
Zone General

Re: How are the maps cached

Post by SunYour »

You do not have unlimited space for storing satellite photos for the whole world, that is correct :-)
It stores it like a FIFO queue (First in, first out) i guess, where your phone sets the limit of the cache.

The size of the cache is found in the application overview. It is wise to cache the map while having WIFI, especially if you are visiting another country....
Mobile: Samsung S7| Location: Västerås / Stockholm
HappyF
Zonemaker

Post by HappyF »

To rephrase my question, how do I ensure that the maps I want to use are cached even when I change zoomlevel? Do I have to look at the entire area I want to Turf in on the lowest zoomlevel to make sure it is stored locally or can I do that on a wider area?
popeye

Post by popeye »

I did a little test, selected a city that I'm going to visit, zoomed in an out on all turf-points.
Leaved Turf, deselected WiFi and mobildata (no connection to the world).
Started Turf again and zoomed in and out in my new area and it seems that I got the maps cached in all zoom-levels for a good turf session next time abroad ;)
Good job with cached maps ;)
HappyF
Zonemaker

Post by HappyF »

I also made a quick test today. My conclusion is that only what you see is what is cached. I.e. you have to zoom to the level you want to be saved and than pan around in the map over the area you want to be stored.

Return to “Supporter Beta”