Suggestion for zones in Tokyo

abruptor

Suggestion for zones in Tokyo

Post by abruptor »

I travel to Japan quite frequently, and although there's not an abundance of players it happened a few times that I've had zones taken while I'm there and retook them. Tokyo is the worlds biggest city and currently only have 5 zones placed in it, out of which 3 are in what I would say pretty poor locations (Roppongi, BigSight and Ginza). There are soooo much more to see there. I would like to suggest the following "tourist" zones to get a little more things to take/see when you're visiting.
When building zones in the major cities of Japan, I suggest rather large ones seeing that the GPS is a bit wonky due to all tall buildings (me thinks).

1. Shibuya crossing at the Hachiko exit
This is the world's most frequented crossing and a spectacular shopping district in daytime and entertainment place at night. I have suggested this zone in the app before. It can be found at the coordinates:
Latitude: 35.659066 | Longitude: 139.700748

2. Shinjuku station
Perhaps not the most spectacular site, but all tourists are going through there at least once on their trip. It's the world's most frequented station. Due to the pure size and complexity to find your way out of the station I would suggest placing a zone both at the east and west exit. Here are the coordinates.
East: Latitude: 35.689718 | Longitude: 139.701869
Weast: Latitude: 35.691147 | Longitude: 139.698608

3. Akihabara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara
This is the electronic district of Tokyo, and most people will visit at least once when they're there.
A well placed zone for example here, might give the turfer a little surprise. Could be called "InterestingStore"
Latitude: 35.69817 | Longitude: 139.771108

4. Yoyogi park temple
http://www.tripadvisor.se/ShowUserRevie ... Kanto.html
Yoyogi park is a beatiful place, and the unsuspecting turfer might think it's a nice morning run to take this zone. But, the guards will stop any attempts to run in there. Only walking allowed.
Latitude: 35.676084 | Longitude: 139.699421

5. The expat street in Ebisu
Ebisu is known for it's great sushi restaurants. This street has a lot of small bars where many expats go to have a drink.
Latitude: 35.645806 | Longitude: 139.71211

6. Tsukiji market
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html
The fish market is only open in the mornings. But it always ends up as number one thing to do in Tokyo.
Latitude: 35.664854 | Longitude: 139.768844

7. Disney land
No explanation needed. Here is the entrance are:
Latitude: 35.636272 | Longitude: 139.882444

8. Kamakura beach
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3109.html
After taking all those zones in a hot Tokyo summer time. You want to go to the beach. There are two good places to place zones. One is the regular beach, which is about 40 minutes by subway from Tokyo. Here:
Latitude: 35.309399 | Longitude: 139.545497
The second one is a little off, but a beautiful island with a temple on top of it, called Enoshima.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoshima
Placing a turf here would put it within walking distance from a beach at the top of the mountain. A nice day you can see mount Fuji from here:
Latitude: 35.300854 | Longitude: 139.480931

9. Yokohama center
Yokohama is one of the more international cities in Japan and you can get there by subway in 30 min from Tokyo. Here is an amusement park where you can enter freely:
Latitude: 35.455129 | Longitude: 139.637467

10. Narita airport international terminal
Putting a zone here will capture many people coming into and leaving Japan.
Latitude: 35.772526 | Longitude: 140.387882

I could go on and on about places to mark in Tokyo. But if these zones are placed there will at least be 17 zones in the largest metropolitan area in the world. If you take upp my suggestion and want to be creative and add some connecting zones you can always add a few on the walkways of Yoyogi park.
Strömbo

Re: Suggestion for zones in Tokyo

Post by Strömbo »

+1!
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

Can someone please reply to this? I think I can get people to play here, but there needs to be some zones to start with at least.
hazzard

Post by hazzard »

Sadly i dont think u can, turf playing alone or with just a few people isnt fun really and why should anyone over there care? Look how dead korea is and there are hundreds of zones nobody ever bothered, they all play ingress anyways like most people worldwide, turf is kinda boring compared to that and lacks problem with the social interaction like in that game u have google+ and groups so easier to get contact and most zones over there are not worth more then 1pph and many are just 0pph.....

And i think turf biggest problem is that ucan only play it solo where ingress u can be how many u want there are no limits u can play alone or gather up with entire groups from your city and do stuff together and since many people live in tokyo i dont think turf is the kind of game for them, different culture etc..
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

That sounds a bit defeatist. As with any fire, it requires a spark.
hazzard

Post by hazzard »

They had the chance many years before ingress launched to expand in asia but they never did, now its kinda too late people tryied getting turf started in korea it never did, why should it do now in japan suddenly? it wont a few people wont change anything u are beating a dead horse here, its not even that active outside sweden if u look norway, denmark and finland, even holland is dead and i think they shouldnt focus on more countries now they should develop and release the final version public which im sure is the main focus now and thanks to the hackers they must add more time to fix security flaws so they wont get hacked again like they did..
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

I must say I strongly disagree with your opinion. The world is large enough to have more than a couple of games going at the same time. When it started in Sweden, did just magically appear over night and everyone started playing?

If you read Malcolm Gladwell's book "Tipping point" there are some interesting points on how social "things" appear. Now, you can create a Tipping point by putting a lot money into it, marketing or you have patience. I assume that there isn't that much money in the turf project, so that leaves the second option. You need some luck to hit the right people at the right time to give it a chance, perhaps someone becomes interested in setting up a turf event in a park in Tokyo and off you go.

Unfortunately, with the current set of zones a new turfer here has about 2h of work in Tokyo and perhaps another 2h in Kyoto and then you're pretty much done. That doesn't leave much room for telling a friend about it right?

I spoke today with a Japanes girl and showed her turf, she got quite keen on it. She did mention that a lot of people are playing ingress, but that's actually a good thing rather than bad. Because when someone grows tired of it they might want to try somethign else. Now, she's going to Cambridge next month and is planning to get all the turfs there. We'll see if that happens. But at some point, you will be at the right time and meet the right person. But there needs to be content in there.

I've suggested 10 zones in Tokyo, that would at least be someting. But I would love to see 100 evenly distributed zones here, which would keep a person going a little while at least. I've also offered to place them myself.
hazzard

Post by hazzard »

U should ask her where to spread the word online forums or whatever works there, thats whats needed over there and i agree a few zones wont hurt but i think its nothing that will hold for very long it will just be a fun thing for a short while because this game in a city without many that gonna play is gonna get boring very quickly so lets hope a zonemaker throws in some zones there for u all.
Blabert
Zonemaker

Post by Blabert »

Nice suggestions :-)
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

Love the 6 new zones in Tokyo. They gave a nice night activity. More could be added though. I took the Akihabara zone when going along the Yamanote line, which a circular train line in the center of Tokyo. Pretty much every station along that line is heavily trafficed. Now, there are two zones along that line, Shibuya and Akihabara. If a zone would be placed near(or on) every station along that line it is probably the best likelyhood of getting a "turf war" going here.

Return to “Zones”