The daily challenge

This is only for suggestions, NOT bugs.
Please report bugs in the issue-system.
abruptor

The daily challenge

Post by abruptor »

Hi turf team,

I was thinking about additional mechanics that could keep Turf fresh and interesting every day. After you've progressed a bit there are huge leaps between medals and level ups, which sometimes can turn Turf into a bit of grind.

When I play turf I often set goals for my self. To grab 10 unique zones in a week, to take 5 unique turfers today etc. I realized that it might be a great addition to Turf: "The daily challenge"

I see that this feature could be tied to supporter functionality as the ones in most need of it are most likely experienced turfers and perhaps it's time they (we) pay back a little. The feature in itself will have no effect on the top lists or points, so it's not a pay-to-win feature.

This is how I envision that it would work:

When you log in the first time after midnight you get a challenge proposal. Before you see the challenge you can choose between Easy, Medium and Hard. Then you will either get a random challenge or a the same challenge as everyone else that day. You have until midnight to complete the challenge. Example challenges are:

Easy
Take turfs from 5 different players
Do 20 takeovers
Take a turf from a unique turfer
Get 5 km turf distance
Take a turf at 3 different calendar hours

Medium
Take turfs from 10 different players
Do 50 takeovers
Take a turf from 3 unique turfers
Get 15 km turf distance
Take a turf at 6 calendar hours
Take a turf in 2 different regions

Hard
Take turfs from 20 different players
Do 80 takeovers
Take a turf from 5 unique turfers
Get 25 km turf distance
Take a turf at 9 calendar hours
Take a turf in 3 different regions

Completing a Easy challenge gives 1 point, medium 2 points and hard 3 points.
The thought is that these challenges would accumulate to a unique set of medals that only can be achieved through completing challenges. Placeholder named medals are:

Challenge Completion - same kind of progression as Takeovers etc for points gathered
Challenge Streak - Complete 5-10-30 challenges in a row
Round challenge - Achieve 20-50-80 challenge points in a round.
hazzard

Re: The daily challenge

Post by hazzard »

this would be interesting to have that, as there arent any new medals for now to hunt its kinda boring just play to lvl up your account which doesnt help block over lvl30 anyway this game needs something like this to keep interest up in the long run.
Weekendstone

Post by Weekendstone »

I think this sounds interesting. As it are now more and more turfers going to hit the maximum of the various medals. Perhaps this to combine in any way with the various medalproposals found in the suggestionsthread?
hazzard

Post by hazzard »

Weekendstone wrote:I think this sounds interesting. As it are now more and more turfers going to hit the maximum of the various medals. Perhaps this to combine in any way with the various medalproposals found in the suggestionsthread?
and even those that are 50+ levels it must be so boring as nobody will ever reach lvl60 this game needs side quests and challenges to keep the interest up, bonanzas and events does not count for me..
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

I thought about this a bit more. I think the best approach is to just have an active challenge, wheneve you're done with one, you get a new one. This way you can play it fast or slow, whatever fits your needs. This would also open up for more types of challenges, such:
- Get a number of revisits.
- Larger number of takes.
- More unique turfers (could be difficult in some region)
- More unique zones

The challenges could be random and give 1-5 points depending on difficulty.

I know it would trigger me, and I wouldn't mind paying to have that feature.
hazzard

Post by hazzard »

You forgot the most important part, completing challenges should give a special unique medal i think, that would be more fun to collect them.
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

Agreed, I think medals are crucial for this feature to be really interesting. I put this in the initial suggestion.
The thought is that these challenges would accumulate to a unique set of medals that only can be achieved through completing challenges. Placeholder named medals are:

Challenge Completion - same kind of progression as Takeovers etc for points gathered
Challenge Streak - Complete 5-10-30 challenges in a row
Round challenge - Achieve 20-50-80 challenge points in a round.
Fillefilur
Zonemaker

Post by Fillefilur »

I agree as long as the challenges also take in consideration players in less active places

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
abruptor

Post by abruptor »

I agree to some degree, I don't think the challenge has to be done within a day. You could have unlimited time to complete a challenge. You could have the option to cancel the current challenge, next day you would get a new challenge.
But I don't think you can cover everything with a system like this. It would be for the most frequent turfers (and their most likely not living where there are no zones), they are also most likely to buy Supporter.
DIProgan

Post by DIProgan »

I'm not very fond of the idea because almost all games today uses a daily challenge model to make people hooked on the game and soon thereafter the game feels like a job instead of fun because the daily is a requirement to get the most out of the game.

Giving the player the freedom to Turf in their own way is big so focus on developing the fun aspects instead of the addiction.

If allowed to start new "dailies" whenever you feel like as suggested further down just means you could add regular medals instead.
Running the third-party project https://turfbridge.com

Return to “Suggestion Box”