New Zones in Crystal Palace and teasers from the north

Moderators: Issue manager, Zonemakers

Northstar

New Zones in Crystal Palace and teasers from the north

Post by Northstar »

Destination Crystal Palace zone suggestions
New turfers have been emerging in SE London, but the existing zones to the south aren't really sufficient to get much use- it's quite hilly, and can be quite far, to go to get a single zone, even ones in as significant a place as CrystalPark (at Crystal Palace). The area is part of the Green Chain Walk through south London, so is important if we continue to see more London turfing. The idea of these zone suggestions is both to highlight some interesting/significant places in the area, but also form a bit of a chain luring people out from their own immediate areas/central London where historically provision is better.

CemeteryGate in West Norwood (google coordinates 51.433528, -0.103227) This is one of London's 'Magnificent Seven' cemeteries- important because it marked a turning point in public health and planning, and means that these are 'park' cemeteries with very fine mausoleums and statuary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Norwood_Cemetery

TivoliParkGym (google coordinates 51.424715, -0.101591) Tivoli Park has an amazing view across to Crystal Palace towers- being very close but also quite high. The zone suggestion is near the gym because there are already a lot of zones with the Tivoli name!

Sydenham Wells Park (google coordinates 51.428468, -0.067773 and WellsSpiral at 51.429824, -0.068422) The internet describes this as 'one of the nicest parks in the borough' so it needs zones!

Mayow Park (google coordinates 51.4305492,-0.0520815)

Dulwich area- a village amidst south London!
- DulwichGallery (google coordinates 51.445959, -0.085955) The gallery is an important one, and though closed for lockdown, the cafe is still operating and gardens open.

-DulwichParkGatehouse (google coordinates 51.443991, -0.073363) There are a couple of amazing keepers lodges/gatehouses in Dulwich park- the one nearest the main gate is a childcare centre but this one makes for a good zone (nb- there is a -currently suspended- ParkRun for this park, and it has sculptures and a gorgeous cafe so really warrants a few zones, but the concern is the best ones may be too close to the existing zone DulwichPond) Dulwich/Sydenham woods- is an amazing area- the last remnants of the ancient Great North Wood. In time, it should have LOTS of zones. But to start, one at the ruins/folly at google coordinates 51.4362108,-0.0685321

Grove Skatepark (google coordinates 51.443225, -0.068818)

Horniman - warrants a few zones as it has a well-renowned, and architecturally significant, museum and also is on the list of finest views in London
-HornimanMuseum 51.440731, -0.061035
-HornimanGarden 51.441508, -0.062489

Crystal Palace
-GipsyView (google coords 51.419982, -0.083254) My favourite ever view of London is from Westow Street down Gipsy Hill
-PalaceSphinx (google coords 51.423605, -0.073619) -sphinx-guarded staircase which led to the Crystal Palace
-CrystalGarden (google coords 51.420194, -0.077300)
-DinosaurPark (google coords 51.417694, -0.067483)

Peckham Rye Park already has a single zone (Peckham Rye) but with the Sexby Gardens, Japanese Gardens, arboretum, and fields, does warrant more, eg JapanBridge (google coords 51.457614, -0.061678)

Camberwell Old Cemetery Lodge (google coordinates) - a gorgeous gothic grade 2 listed building, the location from the film Entertaining Mr Sloane.

SkyChapel (google coordinates 51.463208, -0.051364) in the Nunhead Cemetery -again, one of the magnificent Seven- this location is a roof-less chapel. Looks fantastic from the outside, and in the right conditions is sublime inside.

Thanks!
Northstar

Re: New Zones in Crystal Palace and teasers from the north

Post by Northstar »

Thanks!
I'd seen a couple of responses to this but they fell into the 'blue' period and so have been lost.
These new zones look really good (to me) as they link through to other areas. However I know there are two new turfers in the Beckenham area who seem to want more zones. I'm afraid I can't suggest more as I don't really know the area, but I support their wish!

There had been a comment that the GipsyView zone proposal hadn't been clear. Basically, the Northwest corner of Westow Hill and Gipsy Hill where there is a tree, gardens, and (a little further to the north) a ramp into the building). https://goo.gl/maps/3Zhc3p3fhfr3e7JS9 Would be a shame not to have one, but perhaps an alternative could be the very fine alternative view at the top of the Horniman Museum Gardens https://goo.gl/maps/fdT4AhwZZ2etcbkMA. (although it doesn't quite have the interest of Dulwich College so prominently in the foreground as Westow Hill/Crystal Palace affords).

I've been working through these new zones, and at least one other turfer is busy with them too, and have discovered some new things that are easy to miss (along with others I've been logging on my travels) so I'm putting in another post for this and other south london miscellaneous zones to complement the map.

Thanks again!
Northstar

Re: New Zones in Crystal Palace and teasers from the north

Post by Northstar »

Thanks!
I'd seen a couple of responses to this but they fell into the 'blue' period and so have been lost.
These new zones look really good (to me) as they link through to other areas. However I know there are two new turfers in the Beckenham area who seem to want more zones. I'm afraid I can't suggest more as I don't really know the area, but I support their wish!

There had been a comment that the GipsyView zone proposal hadn't been clear. Basically, the Northwest corner of Westow Hill and Gipsy Hill where there is a tree, gardens, and (a little further to the north) a ramp into the building). https://goo.gl/maps/3Zhc3p3fhfr3e7JS9 Would be a shame not to have one, but perhaps an alternative could be the very fine alternative view at the top of the Horniman Museum Gardens https://goo.gl/maps/fdT4AhwZZ2etcbkMA. (although it doesn't quite have the interest of Dulwich College so prominently in the foreground as Westow Hill/Crystal Palace affords).

I've been working through these new zones, and at least one other turfer is busy with them too, and have discovered some new things that are easy to miss (along with others I've been logging on my travels) so I'm putting in another post for this and other south london miscellaneous zones to complement the map.

Thanks again!

Return to “Greater London”