Calderdale

Moderators: Issue manager, Zonemakers

CSL
Zonemaker

Re: Calderdale

Post by CSL »

Hi, Some new zones today and some more soon. Hope you like them.
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

We like them very much, thank you. They've all been taken already :D
Looking forward to seeing the other ones you're planning to add.
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Thanks for the new zones. Much appreciated :D
Harefeet

Post by Harefeet »

Hi,

I've had a bit of a suggestion-fest this morning, fueled by new-zone enthusiasm :) I've made the following suggestions:

RedacreWoods - a zone on a public footpath through some woodland

DimminShafts - the location of water main ventilation shafts on the moors. These are big conspicuous things. The zone would need to be around rather than on, as they're quite tall structures.

Erringden - access gate to moorland

DicksLane - an old moorland droving track

NabEndQuarry - disused quarry, now a memorial garden

CrowHillSouth - the other Crow Hill (there's already a zone on Crow Hill on the north side of the valley)

HalfwayUp - a flat section on the climb up some very steep and long stairs onto the moor

HighGreen - boulders out on the moor

PWPackhorse - A packhorse bridge on the Pennine Way footpath.

I hope some of these look like suitable spots. Thanks!

Charles.
CSL
Zonemaker

Post by CSL »

Some good suggestions with some coming soon. :)
Harefeet

Post by Harefeet »

Thanks for the new zones! Looking forward to getting some of these over the next couple of days :)
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Thank you for the new zones!

I have added a few more, including one which it turns out Charles has already suggested . He has called it PWPackhorse, I've called it ColdenBr. It's a cracking spot on the Pennine Way.

I've also suggested:
StoodleyGlen - bridge over the canal on which some of the previous recent zones were created. It'd be great to get zones all the way along that stretch of canal to join up Hebden Bridge and Todmorden.

TodRocks - a rock outcrop overlooking Todmorden, unnamed on the OS map.

Blackshaw - a path on the Calderdale Way in the village of Blackshawhead.

PBWBend - a bend on the Pennine Bridleway above Callis woods

TodSheep - site of a number of stone sheep carvings at Mankinholes above Todmorden

I hope some of these are worth considering.

Thanks,
Claire
Fozzie
Zonemaker

Post by Fozzie »

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the suggestions. They all look like good ideas, apart from StoodleyGlen which is over a road. Typically, when placing a zone, we will try to avoid making it so that it overlaps with the road or an obviously car accessible area. This is, for safety, to avoid having turfers hanging about in positions that cars might want to be and also avoid encouraging car turfing (which is not against the rules - but is not good for your health or the environment, and viewed by some as not in the spirit of turfing). There may be occasional exceptions, if a location is considered to be of such value that the fact it can be "car turfed" maybe overlooked, but this is a zone maker judgement call and the rule of thumb is avoid zones overlapping roads/carparks etc. Often turfers put suggestions in the App or make suggestions, where the zone is over a road. If the location makes sense, then the zonemaker may look and see if there's a suitable nearby location for a zone - but typically the suggestion will go no further.

But I'll definitely be using some of your ideas over the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Fozzie
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Thanks for the explanation, Fozzie. To avoid the road, could the StoodleyGlen one be moved a little further south-west on the canal (maybe in the vicinity of Bridgeholme cricket club)?

Thanks for adding the PWPackHorse zone :D
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Added another proposed zone on the Pennine Way. A cairn with a horseshoe above Colden which I called LuckyCairn.

Return to “Yorkshire & The Humber”