Calderdale

Moderators: Issue manager, Zonemakers

CurlyC

Re: Calderdale

Post by CurlyC »

Thanks Fozzie, that clarification is very helpful as I've been trying to work out the criteria you use to accept zone suggestions on the basis of what I've already seen around here.

Just another one for the list, MountOlivet, a former chapel in the woods.

Thanks for adding the zones you have already, it's great to have much more to go at!
Cheers,
Claire
Harefeet

Post by Harefeet »

Fozzie wrote: 29 Apr 2022 17:02 By the way, I couldn't find the location of "ThisMoorDoth" - could you give me a clue? Maybe google map coordinates? (Right click on google maps to get menu - select coordinates, to copy to clipboard)

Cheers,
Fozzie
Thanks for creating all these new zones, it's made things much more fun around here.

This moor doth - Google seems to use decimal lat/long: 53.698449 , -2.0545787
OSGR: SD 96494 22447

Is that OK?

By the way, I've put lots of suggestions in, but one I'd like to withdraw if possible - GaddingsBeach. I've also suggested 'GaddingsDam' out in the middle. That would make a water zone. It's perfectly legit, Gaddings is maintained by the community as a swimming place. My placing of points might need tweaking, I'm not sure the edges are 15m from shore.

Thanks again :)
Fozzie
Zonemaker

Post by Fozzie »

Thanks for that suggestion. As both GaddingsDam and GaddingsBeach suggestions are closer together than 200M, then if one location is used, the other suggestion would be automatically removed, as it would no longer be valid. In fact, when a new zone is placed, any very close by suggestion gets automatically removed and all suggestors of the zones are sent a "your suggestion was used" notification.

GaddingsDam is an excellent zone suggestion - I just googled it - looks like a worthwhile hike destination. I like the water zone idea. It will be coming in the next week or so. Kudos to the first turfer to take it when it goes live!

Cheers,
Fozzie
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Thanks for the latest additions to the Hebden Bridge/Mytholmroyd area. In light of the no bridges over roads rule, I've made the suggestion BeaumontBr, a bridge at the top of Beaumont Clough on the Pennine Bridleway in Todmorden.
Harefeet

Post by Harefeet »

A quick thanks for all the additions that have been made lately, it's made a huge difference to Turfing around here. I've attached photos of the new MountOlivet & ThisMoorDoth zones to this post just for interest's sake.

I had a look at the wiki page for the West Yorkshire municipality - I have loads of photos of the zones around here.

https://wiki.turfgame.com/en/wiki/Munic ... hire#Zones

Do you know if we edit that page to update the list, the page history suggests that it's autogenerated?
Attachments
DSC_1350.jpg
DSC_1350.jpg (921.11 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
DSC_1349.jpg
DSC_1349.jpg (820.86 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Fozzie
Zonemaker

Post by Fozzie »

Great photos. The wiki is not autogenerated, so if you're willing to add entries for some of the local zones - go for it.

https://wiki.turfgame.com/en/wiki/Create_zone_article

You could go for the Wiki Expandator medal too, if you're super keen - see here: https://wiki.turfgame.com/en/wiki/Wiki_Expandator

Well worth going for and allows you entry to an exclusive club - it's only been awarded 23 times so far, which makes it one of the rarer medals.

List of awardees: https://warded.se/turf/medals.php?sort= ... medalid=63

I look forward to seeing more of your photos there!

Cheers,
Fozzie
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Thanks again for all the new zones! A few more suggestions out Todmorden way:

GreatRock - known by the locals as devil's rock because a devil's hoof print is said to be visible on the top - is a gritstone tor

Bridestones - a mass of millstone grit rock and boulder outcrops, some very odd formations resembling faces and anvils, on the moors above Todmorden

OrchanRocks - another mass of rocks somewhat lower down the hill

Thanks
Fozzie
Zonemaker

Post by Fozzie »

Hey - excellent job on the photos you've put in the wiki!

Nice work.

Cheers,
Fozzie
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Cheers Fozzie,
I've added a few more suggestions:

Countdown - bridge zone where the railway crosses the canal at Whiteley Arches in Hebden Bridge

ISpyStJames - rocky outcrop looking down onto existing GreatStJames zone. On Palm Sunday each year, members of the local churches carry a cross up the hill and erect it overlooking the town until passover

CrossStone - church overlooking Todmorden with a path away from the road running down the south-west side of the church

ColdenClough - old packhorse bridge on the Calderdale Way above Hebden Bridge

I may have suggested some others, but forgot to make a note of them!

Many thanks
Claire
CurlyC

Post by CurlyC »

Happy New Year! Just thought I'd see whether we'd be able to have some of our suggestions added to broaden our turfing options for 2023?
Cheers
Claire

Return to “Yorkshire & The Humber”