Suggestion: Anonomous turfing

LHCper

Suggestion: Anonomous turfing

Post by LHCper »

There has been raised some concerns about showing users live in the app and on the site.

So maybe Turf should consider to make users anonymous?

That would mean:
* Not showing the Turf avatar in the map
* Not showing the name of the Turf player when taking zones
* Possibly not sharing take information with 3rd party applictions
* ... and probably many more effects

I believe the benefits of showing live information is good, but as there are some problems, and people might want to not show their live location, I suggest making this a configurable option - and have it disabled by default.
LHCper

Re: Suggestion: Anonomous turfing

Post by LHCper »

This was triggered by a discussion thread in the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/turfgam ... 629935400/
HappyF
Zonemaker

Post by HappyF »

In my opinion, NO! Absolutely not. It is the whole concept of seeing the other players that makes turf so interesting. It makes it more social and encourages meetings in zones.
LHCper

Post by LHCper »

HappyF wrote: In my opinion, NO! Absolutely not. It is the whole concept of seeing the other players that makes turf so interesting. It makes it more social and encourages meetings in zones.
So I suppose your answer to anyone that feels this is a problem is to not do Turf then?

Personally, I think the gain (to allow the ones that have this problem to participate) is greater than the loss. And if few use it the potential negative effects are few.

It is like having protected identity and similar. Yes, you cannot easily locate a person but that is the point, isn't it. And as very few have that need it is not a problem.

So by adding an Anonymous function those persons that for some reason do want to be decrease social interaction, and meeting unknowns, have this option, and can trigger interactions when they feel up to it.

After all - Turf is about Outdoor Addiction, and this feature would lower the barr to get Outdoors for some persons.
MrJokerit

Post by MrJokerit »

Invisible players would mean that others will get blocked and have no idea where to go to avoid getting blocked again and again.

It'd be a huge source of annoyance.

It's a bad idea.
DIProgan

Post by DIProgan »

I don't see the rewards matching up to the issues it creates. The least problematic seems to be anonymizing the player in-game but considering this will probably not be used by a whole lot of people living in the same area, you should be easily identified anyway. Removing the GPS position completely is a terrible blow for the enjoyment of the game.
Running the third-party project https://turfbridge.com
flyingchicken

Post by flyingchicken »

Just the other day, I set out on my bike for a zone. Turned the app on, said zone had just been taken before me. Not an issue, as I could see my fellow Turfer and knew the rough route they took, so I went and Turfed elsewhere, met them on the way back and we “exchanged” zones.
If I couldn’t have seen them - I’d have not known their routing. It’s a total must for the fun of the game.
LeiLar

Post by LeiLar »

flyingchicken wrote: 29 Apr 2021 15:49 It’s a total must for the fun of the game.
Agree!
Turf member since: 2013-01-26 00:37:51

Return to “Gameplay”