Instead of 1 Turf app , a few different depending style of using turf.

This is only for suggestions, NOT bugs.
Please report bugs in the issue-system.
deppen

Instead of 1 Turf app , a few different depending style of using turf.

Post by deppen »

I dont know if its even possible or a good idea .

However it is some different styles we turf some are truly walkers, bikers and electric vehicles and some does all 3.

ATM there is a we that walks/vi som promenerar list that diprogan maintain as far iknow.

With a app for each kind and their own ranking lists.
So when you take a walk to turf you start the Walk turf app .
This would make it more fun look at the lists , as it is now its just a mixture .

Then we have to trust each other use the correct app , though.
Or would this just be more messy with extra Turf apps?

Would be glad to see your thoughts about this.
Dacop
Zonemaker

Re: Instead of 1 Turf app , a few different depending style of using turf.

Post by Dacop »

I'd say no based on a few things:

1. Database. How would these apps work, would a bicyclist be able to take zones from someone on the walking app? If no you basically need additional servers for each app meaning maintenance costs would skyrocket.

2. Limited development resources. Right now we're in a position where development time is scarce as is - updating several versions of the app would not help that situation.

3. There's no such thing as 'trust' - Turf would have to enforce using the correct app. I can't see that being done without raising a lot of revenue to actually pay people for their work. As of now we've basically decided to not implement rules that we can't enforce - hence why you are not banned for using your car for example. There's been millions of arguments how easily you can just measure average speed between zones but the reality is systems are not perfect and if we as zonemakers do our job reasonably well a bicycle will "always" be faster between zones than driving.
"Det är mycket roligare att hålla på med mobilen än gamla kartor och jävelskap..." - Evert Jansson, Klass 9 Stöde Skola
Unique:2292
Rank 56: Turf Angel
deppen

Post by deppen »

Good points :

1. My idea is same zones but maybe 3 apps for different ranking lists , Walk , Bicycle, Electric, but all go for same zones.
so yes a bicyclist can take walking zones , as they see the same ones.

2. yes understand , free to use have a price :)

3. not a easy task
Moru

Post by Moru »

Since Turf has an open API (access to the data live), anyone that can program could build some third-party ranking lists for bicycle and walking. The hard part is to make sure no one is cheating. There is no need to make different apps, just register yourself on the alternative page as walker or biker with possibility for double-checking average speed between zones in case you forget to change to bike again.

Just wondering about winters in snow covered areas. Sometimes with bad weather I end up carrying the bike more than it carrying me. Do I count as biker or walker then? :-)
Turfname is EQ
deppen

Post by deppen »

Moru wrote: 26 Jun 2022 11:17 Since Turf has an open API (access to the data live), anyone that can program could build some third-party ranking lists for bicycle and walking. The hard part is to make sure no one is cheating. There is no need to make different apps, just register yourself on the alternative page as walker or biker with possibility for double-checking average speed between zones in case you forget to change to bike again.

Just wondering about winters in snow covered areas. Sometimes with bad weather I end up carrying the bike more than it carrying me. Do I count as biker or walker then? :-)
Yes that is possible, still only one real region winner, country, world winner , could be 3 one in each class or what to call it.
Personally i dont compete to go top , I do Turf as motivation to bicycle in my region. I like long slow bike tours, but still more fun if i know the list i look at is bikers not walkers or electric users.
And walkers may have more motivation try go to top, when they see they can.
embeoo
Zonemaker

Post by embeoo »

This has been covered multiple times, various 'automatic' or honesty-based systems to separate per transport method.

I' ll try to keep it short-ish but a few remarks, search the forum for related discussions.

With dev resources close to 0 I wouldn't think this would be prioritised within turfgame.

If you think some class, e.g. walkers, would really appreciate this you should maybe try to get a following and maybe even a premium for someone to do a third party solution. If this gains a following it would probably be easier to just get turfgame medals awarded after this system has proved stable and accepted by the community.

For your solution with splitting the turf game in several separate instances, I guess you have pondered that migrated users can't keep their current progress (unclear transportation when achieved) and that the game would be quite lonely in the side branches, e.g. probably just a single player in some towns.

And for separation-by-transportation in general, if it is honesty based you will have a lot of cheaters that enter the 'slower' mode to get easy points or just do damage. For automatic detection (which you haven't suggested but could be a means to watch the players in the walking game) you have the problem that the fastest walkers (runners) is way faster than the slowest bikers, and powered biking isn't clearly faster than manual. And while car turfing can do great damage by taking tougher-to-reach zones, it is not sure that measured speed between takes is clearly different than a bikers.However you categorize, there will be turfing done which doesn't fit. Kayaking? Horseback riding? Skiing? Train-turfing, with or without shady gameplay? And in the end, most turfers will use different means of transport at different times and not accept rules like those for diprogans list, or forget to change their mode of transportation. If they were in your walking-only game, I guess they would face the risk of banning?

It sounds nice with a competition only amongst walkers, but there is a lot of tough decisions to take how this is to be done when you start to think about it, and it would have consequences for those who would want to change to that game.
deppen

Post by deppen »

Thanks for the answeres, i understand all the problems around this , but had to get it out of my head, lol.
All fine.

Return to “Suggestion Box”