Block for "carturfing"?

neverfree

Re: Block for "carturfing"?

Post by neverfree »

Agree on that Turf should be for everybody to play, a lot of good arguments in this discussion, thank you. I'm viewing this app from a health point of view and in that case limiting the use of cars would be interesting, or maybe better put: in some way prioritizing walking, running and biking. BUT, as pointed out, there are more aspects of Turf (experience and discover your city is a great point) and going by car does'nt necessarily make things easier in the city environment. I'm not targeting anyone specific, I can just notice it would be interesting with a tool where you would be to be able to create groups yourself (not for winning prizes but for the mere competition against others) and invite other turfers in it, then you could choose in what cathegories to take part and follow your rank in those caths. Maybe in a couple of years when Turfs has grown even larger this will be suitable.

/NFA
Nattkryp

Post by Nattkryp »

neverfree wrote: I can just notice it would be interesting with a tool where you would be to be able to create groups yourself (not for winning prizes but for the mere competition against others) and invite other turfers in it, then you could choose in what cathegories to take part and follow your rank in those caths. Maybe in a couple of years when Turfs has grown even larger this will be suitable.

/NFA
This is possible for third party programmers/web devs to create. I know this for a fact since I've administrated a simple page like this for turfers who were a part of a specific forum/community. However, I didn't do any of the coding, just adding and removing people from this group.

I'd guess there are some website for creating turf groups, but I don't know where to find it. Perhaps someone have an idea? It's great if you want to keep track of, and, compete with your friends in different regions.
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

The obvious solution to this is of couse to make more zones be a certain distance from roads! Most cities have small paths in the nearby woods or mountains, and making some high value zones here will really encourage "trekking" to off-road places.
Zontjuven

Post by Zontjuven »

DanielF wrote:The obvious solution to this is of couse to make more zones be a certain distance from roads! Most cities have small paths in the nearby woods or mountains, and making some high value zones here will really encourage "trekking" to off-road places.
This is why You turfers can suggest placements of zones in the app. Discuss in the forum, make suggestions of bikepaths trails etc. Take pics, write on maps and so on.

Also, welcome to TURF! spread the word all around Norway, the more turfers, the merrier! :D
Fd världsmästare i TURF
thomthom

Post by thomthom »

Zontjuven wrote:
DanielF wrote:The obvious solution to this is of couse to make more zones be a certain distance from roads! Most cities have small paths in the nearby woods or mountains, and making some high value zones here will really encourage "trekking" to off-road places.
This is why You turfers can suggest placements of zones in the app. Discuss in the forum, make suggestions of bikepaths trails etc. Take pics, write on maps and so on.

Also, welcome to TURF! spread the word all around Norway, the more turfers, the merrier! :D
Then one of the zones I suggested, Munkholmen in Trondheim, is really nice. You either need to take the boat or swim. :D
I was talking to a friend of mine about zones and we both wanted to see more zones in wooded areas, by nice tracks around the forest and by the beach.
Zontjuven

Post by Zontjuven »

thomthom wrote: Then one of the zones I suggested, Munkholmen in Trondheim, is really nice. You either need to take the boat or swim. :D
I was talking to a friend of mine about zones and we both wanted to see more zones in wooded areas, by nice tracks around the forest and by the beach.
Seems very nice indeed. An old monastery?

Now I wonder, who's gonna take it first? ;)
Fd världsmästare i TURF
thomthom

Post by thomthom »

Zontjuven wrote:
thomthom wrote: Then one of the zones I suggested, Munkholmen in Trondheim, is really nice. You either need to take the boat or swim. :D

Yup old monestary - very popular among tourists. Thank you very much for adding It! :D
Now, I'm no swimmer... need to find a boat! :D Game on!
Nattkryp

Post by Nattkryp »

thomthom wrote:
Zontjuven wrote:

Yup old monestary - very popular among tourists. Thank you very much for adding It! :D
Now, I'm no swimmer... need to find a boat! :D Game on!

If turf can do anything, it's change you from what you are to becomming a turfer - learning what's needed :). Go swimming!
Badankan

Post by Badankan »

New here. Just thought I say I do not mind car, motorcycle turfing and so on. The rewards isn't that good for it to be even close worth it to drive around spending money on gas and improve the waistline and heart diseases as well ;)

The true reward is when you notice how your clothes become too large and you can handle a lot more each day. It is also quite nice to find places you never noticed or been to before and stop for a while and have a good old (sugarfree) Swedish "fika" (that would be close to coffeebreak in english).
ZeNomad

Post by ZeNomad »

A distance/time block as suggested would be pretty ineffective, since the time needed to get to the car, drive, park and get to the next zone often is longer than for using a bicycle to go straight between zones. Also, it would completely prevent people going to far-off cities from turfing - for days! :shock:

Placing zones in not-so-car-friendly locations and the cost of gas should be enough incentive and punishment to prevent over-use of cars.

In my first month as a turfer, I have bicycle-turfed, run-turfed, walk-turfed, car-turfed, train-turfed and fly-turfed. I even considered boat-turfing and taxi-turfing (in fact in combination, to get the last island zone for a clean-sweep of Luleå - too costly though!). :D

Return to “Gameplay”